Today is August 25, 2016 -
Congregation B’nai Jeshurun, a member of the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, was the first Jewish congregation on Staten Island. In 1884 11 families met in Tompkinsville to form a minyan in rented space above a store on Richmond Turnpike, now Victory Boulevard in New Brighton. In 1887, the shul was formally organized and land was purchased in 1891, with a new building constructed. In 1974, the congregation moved to its current location on Martling Avenue, and in October 1975 the congregation merged with Temple Tifereth Israel.